Book Reports for 5th Grade
Each month, you are required to complete one book report on an approved fictional book. (You need to show the teacher your book and prove that you’ve read it on reading logs.)
Introduction (First Paragraph)
Here you want to provide basic information about the book, and a sense of what your report will be about. You should include:
- Title (underlined)/Author
- Publication Information: Publisher, year, number of pages
- Abrief (1-2 sentences) introduction to the book and the report/review
Summary (About 3 Paragraphs)
Provide brief descriptions of the setting and major characters. Give a concise plot summary. Along with the sequence of major events. You need to discuss the book’s climax and resolution.
Analysis and Evaluation (1 Paragraph)
In this section you analyze or critique the book. You can write about your own opinions; just be sure that you explain and support them with examples. Some questions you might want to consider:
- Did the author achieve his or her purpose?
- Is the writing effective, powerful, humorous, or beautiful?
- What is your overall response to the book? Did you find it interesting, moving, dull?
- Would you recommend it to others? Why or why not?
Conclusion (1 Paragraph)
Briefly conclude by pulling your thoughts together. You may want to say what impression the book left you with, or emphasize what you want your reader to know about it.